Here at Coláiste na Sceilge we are constantly upskilling, developing and progressing as life long learners. Whenever an opportunity arises teachers at the school are always willing to partake. In the last couple of years many of our teachers have completed the ‘Instructional Leadership Programme’, offered by the Irish Vocational Education Association (IVEA) facilitated by Professor Barrie Bennett, author of ‘ Graphic Intelligence’,‘Classroom Management’ and ‘Beyond Monet’.
Instructional Leadership Programme
As a Model of Professional Development, it provides for engagement & submersion, modelling & practice and the development of collegial networks as a means of support and encouragement.
The programme endeavours to initiate and facilitate systemic change, across all levels of education, by specifically aiming to;
- Encourage teachers to consciously modify their instructional actions so as to maximise student learning
- Facilitate the conscious and deliberate utilisation of teacher actions – skills, tactics & strategies
- Foster an awareness of how a teacher’s actions can impact on student learning – motivation, novelty,authenticity, accountability safety
- Re/Acquaint teachers with the extent to which learning is affected by; diverse learning styles, multiple intelligences, ‘at risk environment’ etc
- Enhance classroom management Encourage / support review –individual / subject dept / school
The programme helps teachers to develop different initiatives for use in the classroom and to further compliment and develop some of the great work already going on in our classrooms. Below is a list of some of these ideas.
Here at Coláiste na Sceilge we use many different types of graphic organisers to reinforce teaching in class.
A graphic organiser, also known as knowledge map, concept map, story map, cognitive organizer, advance organizer, or concept diagram, is a communication tool that uses visual symbols to express knowledge, concepts, thoughts, or ideas, and the relationships between them. The main purpose of a graphic organizer is to provide a visual aid to facilitate learning and instruction.
Click here to see the different categories used in many of our lessons.
Below is a sample of a mind map created here at the school to revise the topic of….