What is Gaisce?
Gaisce – The President’s Award is Ireland’s National Challenge Award for young people, the country’s most prestigious and respected individual Award programme. It is a challenge from the President of Ireland to the young people of Ireland.
Gaisce works on the basis of a personal challenge set by the young person. You will set your own challenge and agree it with a President’s Award Leader (PAL). You won’t be competing with other participants, as each challenge is completely individual… so the only person you will compete with is yourself.
- National challenge award from the President of Ireland to all young people between 15 and 25 years
- In 2008 over 16,550 young people enrolled in the Award
|Age||Minimum Time Commitment|
|Bronze||Start Age 15||
|Silver||Start Age 16||
|Gold||Start Age 17||
In transition Year in Coláiste na Sceilge, all of the students are encouraged to participate in the Bronze Award.
Four Challenge Areas
- Community Involvement- Students have to volunteer in their community and give an hour a week of their time to this particular challenge.
- Personal Skill- Students have to think of a skill that they’d like to develop, or improve upon. The main emphasis in this challenge area is on your commitment to see it through and how much you improve from start to finish. Eg Learning to Drive
- Recreation –This is all about the students own physical fitness and it encourages the student to take part in a physical activity for an hour a week.
- Adventure Journey- Students plan and go on an adventure of some kind.