Would you like to win €300 for your club?
“South Kerry is your life; Now make it your career”
As part of the exciting and newly developed PLC courses at the O’Connell Centre we invite your club to produce a 1-5 minute video on what South Kerry (its scenery, people, etc.) and your local club mean to you. We want members of clubs to get together and produce the video; the more inventive the better!!….If your club is interested in entering the competition all you need to do is email the contact details of club/club secretary to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you out info pack with all the details.
Junior and Leaving Cert Examinations
Ahead of the upcoming Junior and Leaving Certificate exams, we would like to bring the following to your attention:
- We advise that your son/daughter arrive to their examination centre at 9.00am on Wednesday 3rd June to avoid unnecessary stress and at least 15 minutes before the start time of every examination thereafter.
- Please ensure your son/daughter has the correct and relevant equipment/materials for each examination.
- Pens and spares
- A working calculator
- Drawing equipment
- Colouring pencils
- Mathematical sets
- Masking tape for drawing
- A watch for the important timing purpose!
- Students are not required to wear school uniform – comfortable clothing is advised.
- However, school rules do apply. Good behaviour is expected at all times.
- Students are asked to be mindful of their fellow students doing exams.
- We also advise students to make full use of the time allowed per exam.
- Students who leave exams early should also leave the school as virtually all rooms are being used for exam purposes and quietness is imperative.
- Please be advised that the buses while running during the duration of the exams will follow the Leaving Cert timetable. They will arrive as normal in the morning and leave on completion of the afternoon exam for Leaving Certs.
Finally we would like to take this opportunity to wish our students the very best of luck in their examinations. Go n-éirí an t-ádh libh go léir.
Well done to all our students and members of the community who received awards at our annual awards event on Wednesday 27th May. It was a great event and is all about recognising hard work, achievements and the spirit of volunteerism which is very much evident here in our school. Well done to Ms. Sharon Fitzgerald for all her hard work bringing the ceremony together. Mr. Colm McEvoy CEO Kerry ETB was a special guest on the day and his visit is much appreciated. Click on photo below to access pictures from event. A big thank you to Bríd Moran for volunteering to take these photos, it is very much appreciated.
Staff/Student choir recital
On the 15th May Coláiste na Sceilge hosted a wonderful recital in the upper mall. What was so special about this event was that both the T.Y. students and the newly formed Staff choir performed together. Below is a video from the event. Well done to all involved and to Ms. Falvey (Music Teacher) for bringing it all together.
Below is a picture of the recently launched CNS Radio. The radio goes live at lunchtime and you can request songs on the colaistenasceilgeradio facebook page. There will also be competitions, quizzes, live performances, etc. Stay tuned!!… Michael McCarthy and Garath Burke-Weigt are at the controls and are doing a great job. If you want to get involved or do a show contact Mr. McGill.
€20,000 Scholarship announced for Kerry Leaving Certificate Students.
The Naughton Foundation has announced the extension of the deadline that students can apply for a Scholarship. The closing date for applications is now Saturday 23rd May at 5.30pm. For more details click here.
Exciting newly developed PLC Courses now available at The O’ Connell Centre. Go to www.oconnellcentre.ie for more details and click on image below to view new Brochure. The new PLC courses for 2015/16 will be launched in The O’Connell Centre on Thursday 30th April at 7:30 pm and all are welcome.
We are delighted to announce two winners in National competitions;
- Abbie Daly, 1st Year, is an overall category winner in this year’s An Post Handwriting Competition.
- Kerry O Sullivan, 6th Year, is the Munster winner of the UL National Essay Writing Competition for Secondary Schools.
Congratulations to both students for their effort and talent in winning these prestigious awards and also to their teacher Ms. Janette Condon for her hard work and involvement.
Congratulations to Brandon Moran & Amy NiChonaill who represented Coláiste na Sceilge at the Apprentice Chef competition held in Tralee IT; They cooked extremely well and came second overall. Well done to all involved and to their teacher Áine Ni Chonaill.
The following contains a link to a questionnaire as part of a project being carried out by 5th yr student Sinead O’Sullivan. The questionnaire is part of a SciFest project, which investigates the role of personality traits, stress and self esteem in relation to substance and media use. All responses are anonymous. It would be a great help if you would complete it. Thanks. Click to access survey
Song writing Workshop
Check out some of the amazing songs created by students here as part of World Book Day. A big thank you to Andrew ‘Skatz’ Skattergood for donating his time and talents.
Kerry Colleges Athletics Competition
Congratulations to all those who took part in the Kerry Colleges Athletics competition and to their coach Mr. Lorcan Murphy. Well done especially to those who won medals on the day;
- Minor girls 800m -Laura Dwyer 2nd
- Senior Girls 3000m -Laura O’Connor 3rd
- Senior Boys -Liam O’Connell 2nd
We Need You!!
Are you interested in writing an opinion piece, fashion page, sports page, film review page etc. for the school website? Whatever your interest, we want to showcase you!. If you have an idea contact Mr. Mc Gill.